(14th century - 15th century - 16th century - other centuries)
As a means of recording the passage of time, the 15th century was that century which lasted from 1401 to 1500.
- Renaissance affects philosophy, science and art.
- The New Monarchs come to power in France, England, Portugal and Spain.
- Rise of Modern English language from Middle English.
- Lollardy is suppressed in England; John Badby is the first person burnt at the stake for heresy in England.
- Great Schism of the Catholic Church is ended in 1417.
- Foundation and rise of the Aztec empire in Mexico.
- Jeanne d'Arc in 1429 leads French forces to a victory against England in a battle of the Hundred Years' War.
- The duchy of Burgundy is a major power in Europe.
- Brazil is discovered by Pedro Álvares Cabral, thus creating the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil.
- Constantinople falls to the Ottoman Empire (in 1453), and the Empire conquers several more countries in the Balkans.
- John Huss is burned at the stake
- The Spanish Inquisition is established.
- Muslims and Jews are expelled from southern Spain after almost 800 years of Muslim rule, in 1492.
- The Ancient Pueblo Peoples Native American civilization mysteriously disappears.
- Christopher Columbus reaches Caribbean islands in 1492 and South America in 1498, initiating the Spanish Empire.
- Portuguese Vasco da Gama completes sea voyage to India, in 1498.
- Zheng He's fleet sails from China to South-East Asia, India, East Africa and Egypt.
- The Sultanate of Malacca is established. Through its trade and empire, Malays are converted to Islam.
- The Wolof establish the Jolof Empire.
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
Decades and years