1772 was a leap year starting on Wednesday (see link for calendar).
- March 10 - Friedrich von Schlegel, aesthetician, poet, and publicist (+ 1829)
- April 7 - Charles Fourier, French philosopher (+ 1837)
- April 19 - David Ricardo, British Economist (+ 1823)
- May 2 - Novalis, German poet (+ 1801)
- May 20 - William Congreve, British rocket pioneer.
- May 22 - Ram Mohan Roy, Hindu religious and social reformer
- June 6 - Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies , later wife of Emperor Francis II
- August 2 - Louis Antoine de Bourbon-Condé, Duc d'Enghien
- August 15 - Johann Nepomuk Mälzel, inventor
- August 24 - Prince William VI of Orange, later King William I of the Netherlands
- October 21 - Samuel Taylor Coleridge, English poet, philosopher, (+ 1834)
- November 23 - Duke Augustus of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
- Tuanku Imam Bonjol, Indonesian religious and military leader
- February 8 - Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Dowager Princess of Wales.
- March 26 - Charles Pinot Duclos, French writer (born 1704)
- March 29 - Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish philosopher and mathematician (born 1668)
- September 30 - James Brindley, British canal builder (born 1716)
- October 7 - John Woolman, American Quaker (born 1720)
- Jean Joseph de Mondonville, French violinist and composer (born 1711)
- William Borlase, English antiquary (born 1695)
- Louis Claude Daquin, French composer (born 1694)
- Samuel Scott , English painter (born 1702)
- Georg Reutter , Austrian composer (born 1708)
- Madhavrao Peshwa, Peshwa ruler in India.
|Top Encyclopedia Articles