2006 is a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. It has been designated:
Predicted and scheduled events
- The third Chinese manned space mission Shenzhou 7 is scheduled with the first Chinese space walk ever to be performed.
- Finland plans to cease analog television broadcasts.
- Airbus plans to release into service Airbus A380, the biggest airliner in the world.
- Microsoft may release Windows Longhorn, a computer operating system (although Microsoft has not stated an official release date, 2006 is a probable year)
- The European Space Agency plans to launch the KEO space time capsule
- The Republic of Ireland is expected to hold a referendum on the European Constitution (although 2005 is possible, from statements made by minsters, 2006 is more likely).
- OpenOffice.org is expected to release the Aqua version of OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X.
- Manuel Noriega becomes eligible for parole.
- The Osaka Outer Loop Line and the eighth line of the Osaka City Subway are scheduled to open in Osaka, Japan.
- Wembley Stadium expected to open after renovations.
- Kobe Airport, a controversial offshore airport in Kobe, Japan, is scheduled to open for airline service in the Northern spring.
- World oil production peaks this year according to "The Peak Of World Oil Production And The Road To The Olduvai Gorge" by Richard C. Duncan .
- The new Nintendo Revolution to be released worldwide
- The new Sony PlayStation 3 to be released worldwide (it will probably happen in 2006).
- General election in Italy, probably for the first half of the year.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics to hold a census.
- Motion Picture Indiana Jones 4 will be released.
|Top Encyclopedia Articles