(Redirected from 26 November
November 26 is the 330th day (331st on leap years) of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 35 days remaining.
- 1917 - The National Hockey League is formed, with the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, and Toronto Arenas as its first teams.
- 1922 - Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first people to enter the tomb of Egyptian King Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.
- 1922 - Toll of the Sea debuts as the first general release film to use two-tone Technicolor (The Gulf Between was the first film to do so but it was not widely distributed).
- 1939 - The Red Army stages the Shelling of Mainila in order to justify the start of the Winter War with Finland four days later.
- 1941 - US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signs a bill establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day in the United States.
- 1941 - World War II: Attack on Pearl Harbor - A fleet of six aircraft carriers commanded by Japanese Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo leaves Hitokapu Bay for Pearl Harbor under strict radio silence.
- 1941 - World War II: The Hull note ultimatum is delivered to Japan by the United States.
- 1942 - The film Casablanca premieres at the Hollywood Theater in New York City.
- 1949 - The Indian Constituent Assembly adopts India's constitution.
- 1950 - Korean War: Troops from the People's Republic of China move into North Korea and launch a massive counterattack against South Korean and American forces (Battle of Chosin Reservoir), ending any thought of a quick end to the conflict.
- 1965 - In the Hammaguira launch facility in the Sahara Desert, France launches a Diamant-A rocket with its first satellite, Asterix-1 on board, becoming the third country to enter space.
- 1968 - Vietnam War: United States Air Force helicopter pilot James P. Fleming rescues an Army Special Forces unit pinned down by Viet Cong fire and is later awarded the Medal of Honor.
- 1970 - In Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, 1.5 inches (38.1mm) of rain falls in one mintue, the heaviest rainfall ever on record.
- 1983 - Brinks Mat robbery: In London, 6,800 gold bars worth nearly UK£26 million are taken from the Brinks Mat vault at Heathrow Airport
- 1985 - US President Ronald Reagan signs over rights to his autobiography to Random House for a record US$3 million.
- 1986 - Iran-Contra scandal: US President Ronald Reagan announces the members what will become known as the Tower Commission .
- 1986 - The New Yorker publishes Susan Sontag's AIDS short story, "The Way We Live Now"
- 1998 - Tony Blair becomes the first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to address the Republic of Ireland's parliament.
- 1607 - John Harvard, cleric (d. 1638)
- 1792 - Sarah Grimke, abolitionist, feminist (d. 1873)
- 1832 - Mary Edwards Walker, feminist, physician (d. 1919)
- 1869 - Maud, Queen of Norway (d.1938)
- 1876 - Willis Carrier, engineer, inventor (d. 1950)
- 1877 - Alfred Cortot, Swiss pianist (d. 1962)
- 1885 - Heinrich Brüning, German Reichskanzler 1930-1932 (d. 1970)
- 1894 - Norbert Wiener, mathematician, founder of Cybernetics (d. 1964)
- 1899 - Bruno Hauptmann, kidnapper of Charles Lindbergh III (d. 1936)
- 1905 - Bob Johnson ("Indian Bob"), Major League Baseball player (d. 1982)
- 1910 - Cyril Cusack, actor (d. 1993)
- 1912 - Eugène Ionesco, playwright (d. 1994)
- 1912 - Eric Sevareid, journalist (d. 1992)
- 1915 - Earl Wild , pianist
- 1922 - Charles M. Schulz, cartoonist (d. 2000)
- 1924 - George Segal, sculptor
- 1925 - Eugene Istomin, pianist (d. 2003)
- 1927 - Jean-Pierre Daras , actor (d. 1999)
- 1933 - Robert Goulet, singer, actor
- 1934 - Barry Coe , actor
- 1937 - Boris Yegorov, cosmonaut
- 1938 - Rich Little, comedian, actor
- 1939 - Tina Turner, singer, actress
- 1940 - Anthony Hunter , engineer
- 1943 - Bruce Paltrow, producer, director (d. 2002)
- 1945 - Daniel Davis, actor (The Nanny)
- 1945 - John McVie, musician
- 1948 - Kresimir Cosic, professional basketball player (d. 1995)
- 1949 - Juanin Clay, actress
- 1951 - Ilona Staller, aka Cicciolina, pornographic film actress, politician
- 1956 - Dale Jarrett, NASCAR race car driver
- 1959 - Jamie Rose , actress
- 1969 - Shawn Kemp, NBA player
- 1969 - Kara Walker, artist
- 1972 - Arjun Rampal, Indian Actor.
- 1975 - Phil Brooks, ("CM Punk") professional wrestler
- 1981 - Aurora Snow, pornographic film actress
Holidays and observances
November 25 - November 27 - October 26 - December 26 -- listing of all days
|Top Encyclopedia Articles