The AMC Ambassador was largest and best appointed full sized automobile produced by American MotorsCorporation (AMC).
The Ambassador model name dates back to the 1940s when Nash Motors, the forerunner of AMC, applied the name to its top of the line cars. Following the decision to discontinue the Nash and Hudson automobile makes, the big car platform that had been earmarked for the 1958 Nash Ambassador was renamed the Ambassador by Rambler.
In 1965, AMC began the process of deemphasizing the “Rambler” brand and the Ambassador became a make under the AMC name, where it remained until the mid 1970s when the Ambassador was discontinued.
In 1967, AMC transferred the Rambler Marlin fastback from the Rambler Classic line to the Ambassador platform which was simply named the “Marlin” and was discontinued for the 1968 model year.
During the late 1960s Ambassadors were classified as DPL or SST designations. Air conditioning became standard on Ambassadors in 1968; buyers could opt to order a non-air conditioned model and received a credit for the amount of the unit deducted from the sale price.
Ambassador production ended in the mid 1970s.