The Bronx River Parkway was one of the earliest limited access automobile highways. Construction began in Westchester County, New York in 1907, making it the first such highway to be constructed. However while construction on the Long Island Motor Parkway began a year later, a section of the Long Island opened for traffic before the end of 1908, beating the Bronx River as the first limited access automobile highway to be put into use. Neither was up to modern freeway standards, utilizing left turns across the opposing direction at access points.
The Westchester Bronx River Parkway was completed in 1923. An extension into the Bronx was added 1946 - 1950. The parkway runs from Story Avenue and the Bruckner Expressway in the Soundview section of the Bronx to Kensico Dam Plaza and Park, north of White Plains, where it turns into the Taconic State Parkway.
Today, a seven mile section of the Bronx River Parkway is closed to motorist traffic from 10am to 2pm every Sunday from April to October, allowing bicyclists to venture along the scenic road.