Josh Davis, aka DJ Shadow, (born January 1, 1973 in Hayward, CA) is a turntablist musician.
DJ Shadow spent his teenage years in Davis, California and was a DJ at the community radio station KDVS. During his time as a radio disc jockey DJ Shadow was significant in developing the experimental instrumental hip hop style associated with the California-based Solesides record label. His early singles for the label, including "In/Flux" and "Lost and Found (S.F.L.)," were genre-bending works of art merging elements of funk, rock, hip-hop, ambient, jazz, soul, and used-bin incidentalia. DJ Shadow is often cited as a leading creator of trip-hop.
Although he previously released a couple of original works (during 1991-1992 for Hollywood Records) by the time Mo' Wax's James Lavelle contacted him about releasing "In/Flux" on the fledgling imprint, it wasn't until his distribution association with Mo' Wax that his sound began to mature and cohere.
Shadow's first full-length work, Endtroducing..., was released in late 1996 to immense critical acclaim. Endtroducing made the Guinness World Records book for First Completely Sampled Album in 2001. Preemptive Strike, a compilation of early singles, followed in early 1998. Later that year, Shadow produced tracks for Psyence Fiction , the debut album by U.N.K.L.E., a long-time Mo' Wax production team that gained superstar guests including Thom Yorke (of Radiohead), Richard Ashcroft (of the Verve), Mike D (of the Beastie Boys), and others. His next project came in 1999, with the transformation of Solesides into a new label, Quannum Projects. Nearly six years after his debut production album, his second album, The Private Press, was released in June 2002.
DJ Shadow has also collaborated with fellow hip-hop DJ Cut Chemist. Together they have made two CDs entitled "Brainfreeze " and "Product Placement ". These albums fuse jazz, funk, and soul in the framework of a cohesive concept.
- Lifer's Group/DJ Shadow : "The Real Deal (Shadow Remix)"/"Lesson 4" (1991)
- Asia Born/DJ Shadow : "Send Them"/"Count and Estimate (Dub)"/"Hip-Hop Reconstruction from the Ground Up" (1993)
- Chief Xcel/DJ Shadow : "Fully Charged on Planet X"/"Hardcore (Instrumental) Hip-Hop, Bonus Scratchapella, Last Stop (Bonus Beat) (?)
- What Does Your Soul Look Like (1995)
- Flux / Hindsight (1995)
- Midnight In A Perfect World (1996)
- Stem (1996)
- High Noon (1996)
- Dark Days (2000)
- You Can't Go Home Again (2002)
- Six Days (2002)
- Mashin' on the Motorway / Walkie Talkie (2003)
- Radiohead - The Gloaming (DJ Shadow Mix) (2004)
- Keane - We Might As Well Be Strangers (DJ Shadow vs. Keane Mix) (2005)
- Camel Bobsled Race (Q-Bert Mega Mix) (1997)
- UNKLE - Psyence Fiction (1998)
- DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze (1999)
- Quannum - Quannum Spectrum (1999)
- Quannum - Soulsides Greatest Bumps (2000)
- DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Product Placement (2001)
- Bombay the Hard Way, Guns Cars and Sitars (w/ Dan the Automator)
- Six Days (Single)
- Mashin' on the Motorway / Walkie Talkie (Single)
- In Tune and On Time