Deakin University is an Australian university based in Geelong, Warrnambool and Melbourne, Victoria. It was named after Alfred Deakin.
The Melbourne campuses constituted Victoria College (and previously separate teachers' colleges) before being incorporated into Deakin University in the 1990's.
The main campus of the university is in the Eastern suburb of Burwood, on Burwood Highway. In terms of area, the campus is relatively small. But the student population is quite high (over 12,000 students in 2003), creating a rather crowded environment. The campus layout manages this well with many multi-story buildings. The campus is based around Mutant Way which acts as a giant centralised courtyard which is enjoyed by students on sunny days.
This campus undergoes frequent building developments. Recent developments include the construction of Building P (Arts) and Building T (Science) for the students who transferred over from the closed Rusden campus (see below). Currently a large central precinct is under construction next to the 5-storey car park at the rear of the campus.
The Melbourne campus at Toorak is actually in Malvern. It accommodates many of Deakin's international students.
The Rusden campus was located on Blackburn Road, near Monash University in Clayton. This campus mainly accommodated Arts and Science students. The campus was progressively closed in 2001-2003 and most students transferred to the campus at Burwood.
Geelong (Waurn Ponds)
This is the original Deakin University campus, in the Western suburb of Waurn Ponds in Geelong.
Formerly known as the Woolstores Campus, it is a structurally superb set of buildings near the Geelong city waterfront.
Deakin University's rural campus in Western Victoria in Warrnambool.
Faculties and Schools
The University is divided into five faculties:
- Faculty of Arts
- Research and Graduate Studies
- School of Communication and Creative Arts
- School of Social and International Studies
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Bowater School of Management and Marketing
- School of Accounting, Economics and Finance
- School of Law
- School of Information Systems
- Faculty of Education
- Research and Doctoral Studies
- School of Social and Cultural Studies in Education
- School of Scientific and Developmental Studies in Education
- Consultancy and Development Unit
- Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences
- School of Psychology
- School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- School of Health and Social Development
- School of Nursing
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- School of Architecture and Building
- School of Biological and Chemical Sciences
- School of Information Technology
- School of Ecology and Environment
- School of Engineering and Technology
Deakin University Association of Students
The Deakin University Association of Studenta (DUSA) is the main student association accross all campuses.
Deakin Commerce Students' Society
Otherwise known as DCSS, it is society run by students for students. It is based on the Geelong Waurn Ponds campus and delivers its members a number of entertainment and career oriented activities. Likely to cease operations in 2006 with the introduction of Voluntary Student Unionism.
Deakin Law Students' Society
Commonly abbreviated to DLSS, a student association which represents the law students at Deakin University. The organisation is separated into two chapters: Melbourne and Geelong. The DLSS is a member organisation of the Australian Law Students' Association (ALSA).
Deakin University Law School