(Redirected from Györ (county)
Győr county (in Hungarian: Győr (vár)megye) was a historic administrative county (comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungary in present-day north-western Hungary (95%) and south-western Slovakia (about 5%), mostly on the right (south) side of the Danube river.
Győr county shared borders with the counties Moson, Pozsony (Bratislava), Komárom, Veszprém and Sopron. The rivers Danube, and Rába run through the county. Its area was 1527 km² around 1910.
The capital of the county was the city of Győr.
The Győr comitatus arose as one of the first comitatus of the Kingdom of Hungary. It was conquered by the Turks in 1541, and again by the Austrians-Hungarians around 1598.
In 1918 (confirmed by the Treaty of Trianon 1920), the tiny part of Győr county north of the Danube became part of newly formed Czechoslovakia. The rest stayed in Hungary and merged with the eastern part of Moson county and a very small part of Pozsony county to form Győr-Moson-Pozsony county.
After World War II, Győr-Moson-Pozsony county merged with Sopron (County) to form Győr-Sopron county. This county was renamed to Győr-Moson-Sopron county in the early 1990s. The part of the county north of the river Danube is now in Slovakia, Trnava Region.
In the early 20th century, the districts and their capitals were:
- Tószigetcsilizköz (capital Győr)
- Sokoróalja (capital Tét )
- Puszta (capital Győrszentmárton, renamed Pannonhalma)