List of physicians
This is a list of famous physicians in history:
Physicians famous for their role in advancement of medicine
Physicians otherwise notable as practitioners
Physicians famous chiefly as eponyms
Physicians famous as criminals
Physicians famous as writers
see also A Roster of Physician Writers
The most famous writers:
- Sir Thomas Browne (1605-1682) - British writer
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809-1894) - American essayist
- Ctesias (5th century B.C.) - Greek historian
- David Livingstone
- Albert Schweitzer
- Mungo Park
- Sir William Gilbert
- Thomas Campion - poet, composer
- William Carlos Williams (1883-1963) - American writer, essayist and poet
- John Arbuthnot - author
- H. Richard Hornberger author of MASH
- Oliver Goldsmith - American author
- Michael Cook - American writer of suspense novels
- Tobias Smollett (1721-1771) - author
- Patrick Abercromby (1656 - ~ 1716) - historian
- Arthur Johnston (1587-1641) - poet
- Georg Büchner - German dramatist
- Ludwig Büchner - German philosopher
- Kurt Schopenhauer - German writer and philosopher
- João Guimarães Rosa - Brazilian writer
- Silas Weir Mitchell (1829-1914) - American writer
- Lewis Thomas (1913-1993) - American essayist and poet
- Adeline Yen Mah - Chinese-American author.
- Janet Asimov - (born 1926) (née Janet O. Jeppson). American psychiatrist, wife of Isaac Asimov.
- Deepak Chopra - Indian/American writer of self-help and health books
- Alex Comfort (1920-2000) - British writer and poet, author of The Joy of Sex.
- Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802). British poet and founder of the Lunar Society. The grandfather of Charles Darwin and Francis Galton
- Theodor Drachman (1904-19880 - American author
- Georges Duhamel (1884-1966) - French writer, dramatist, poet and humanist
- Havelock Ellis (1859-1940) - British writer and poet, author of The Psychology of Sex
- Samuel Garth (1661-1719) - British author and translator of classics
- William A. Hammond (1828-1900) - American writer.
- Ronald Laing - American writer and poet, leader of the anti-psychiatry movement.
- Stanislaw Lem (1929-) - Polish author of science-fiction (Solaris)
- Carlo Levi (1902-1975) - Italian novelist and writer
- Jean Paul Marat (1743-1793) - French writer and philosopher, also a leader of the French Revolution, was assassinated in a bathtub (see play by Peter Weiss and famous painting by Jacques-Louis David)
- Sir Ronald Ross (1857-1932) - British writer and poet, immortalized also as the discoverer of the malaria parasite.
- Theodore Isaac Rubin (1923-). American author of Lisa and David fame.
- Oliver Sacks (1933-). British essayist (e.g. The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat)
- Frank Slaughter (1908-) American bestseller author (e.g., Doctor's Wives)
- Benjamin Spock (1903-1988) - American pediatrician, wrote Baby and Child Care .
- Sir Henry Thompson, British surgeon and polymath.
- Atul Gawande , surgeon and New Yorker medical writer.
- Paolo Mantegazza (1831-1910) - Italian writer, wrote a science fiction book, L'Anno 3000
Physicians famous as politicians
Physicians famous for other activities
|Top Encyclopedia Articles