March 7 is the 66th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (67th in Leap years). There are 299 days remaining.
- 161 - Roman emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, an unprecedented political arrangement in the Roman Empire.
- 1798 - The French army enters in Rome: the birth of the Roman Republic
- 1799 - Napoleon I of France captures Jaffa in Palestine and his troops proceed to kill more than 2,000 Albanian captives.
- 1814 - Napoleon wins the Battle of Craonne.
- 1827 - Shrigley Abduction: Ellen Turner, a wealthy heiress in Cheshire, England is abducted by Edward Gibbon Wakefield, the future politician in colonial New Zealand.
- 1848 - The Great Mahele (land division) is signed in Hawaii.
- 1850 - United States Senator Daniel Webster gives his "Seventh of March" speech in which he endorses the Compromise of 1850 in order to prevent a possible civil war.
- 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Pea Ridge - Union forces led by General Samuel Curtis defeat Confederate troops under General Earl Van Dorn at Pea Ridge in northwestern Arkansas.
- 1876 - Alexander Graham Bell is granted a patent for an invention he calls the telephone (patent # 174,464).
- 1911 - Revolution in Mexico.
- 1912 - Roald Amundsen first announces to the world that his expedition has reached the South Pole, though they had arrived on December 14, 1911.
- 1918 - World War I: Finland forms an alliance with Germany.
- 1936 - World War II: In violation of the Locarno Pact and the Treaty of Versailles, Germany reoccupies the Rhineland.
- 1945 - World War II: American troops seize the bridge over the Rhine River at Remagen, Germany and begin to cross.
- 1947 - The Kuomintang and Communist Party of China resume full-fledged Civil War.
- 1950 - Cold War: The Soviet Union issues a statement denying that Klaus Fuchs served as a Soviet spy.
- 1951 - Korean War: Operation Ripper - In Korea, United Nations troops led by General Matthew Ridgeway begin an assault against Chinese forces.
- 1965 - In Selma, Alabama, State troopers and local law enforcement forcefully break up a group of 600 civil rights marchers. The event was televised and was dubbed Bloody Sunday.
- 1968 - Vietnam War: The First Battle of Saigon begins.
- 1973 - The ultimately disappointing Comet Kohoutek is discovered by Lubos Kohoutek.
- 1983 - The Nashville Network (TNN) begins broadcasting.
- 1984 - The United States attacks San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua.
- 1987 - Mike Tyson adds the WBA World Heavyweight boxing championship to his WBC one when he beats James Smith after a 12-round fight in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 1988 - Colombia becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1989 - The State Council of the People's Republic of China declares martial law in Lhasa, Tibet.
- 1994 - The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music that parodies of an original work are generally covered by the doctrine of fair use.
- 1996 - The first democratically elected Palestinian parliament is formed.
- 2001 - The SpongeBob SquarePants You Wish TV special airs on Nickelodeon.
- 2002 - Opening of The IX Paralympics Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 189 - Publius Septimius Geta, Roman emperor (d. 211)
- 1693 - Pope Clement XIII (d. 1769)
- 1746 - André Michaux, French botanist (d. 1802)
- 1792 - John Herschel, mathematician, astronomer (d. 1871)
- 1837 - Henry Draper, doctor, astronomer (d. 1882)
- 1849 - Luther Burbank, biologist, botanist
- 1872 - Piet Mondrian, painter (d. 1944)
- 1875 - Maurice Ravel, composer (d. 1937)
- 1902 - Heinz Rühmann , actor (d. 1994)
- 1904 - Reinhard Heydrich, Nazi official (d. 1942)
- 1908 - Anna Magnani, actress (d. 1973)
- 1926 - Alan Sues , comedian, actor (Laugh-in)
- 1927 - James Broderick , American actor (d. 1982)
- 1930 - Antony Armstrong-Jones, Lord Snowdon
- 1934 - Willard Scott, television broadcaster
- 1938 - Janet Guthrie , American racecar driver
- 1940 - Rudi Dutschke, German student leader (d. 1979)
- 1940 - Daniel J. Travanti , American actor (Hill Street Blues)
- 1942 - Tammy Faye Bakker, evangelist
- 1942 - Michael Eisner, president of The Walt Disney Company
- 1944 - Townes Van Zandt, musician, songwriter
- 1944 - Stanley Schmidt, science fiction editor
- 1945 - John Heard , American actor
- 1945 - Arthur Lee, musician (Love)
- 1946 - Peter Wolf, musician ("J Geils Band")
- 1947 - Walter Röhrl , German racecar driver
- 1949 - Ghulam Nabi Azad, Indian politician
- 1950 - Iris Chacon, Puerto Rican singer and dancer
- 1950 - Franco Harris, American football player
- 1952 - Ernie Isley, American singer
- 1952 - Lynn Swann, American football player
- 1955 - Tommy Kramer, American football player
- 1956 - Bryan Cranston, American actor
- 1960 - Joe Carter, baseball star
- 1960 - Ivan Lendl, Czech tennis player
- 1963 - Bill Brochtrup, American actor
- 1963 - Denyce Graves, American opera singer
- 1964 - Bret Easton Ellis, writer
- 1964 - Wanda Sykes, American actress, comedienne
- 1965 - Jesper Parnevik, Swedish golfer
- 1971 - Rachel Weisz, British actress
- 1980 - Laura Prepon, American actress
- 322 BC - Aristotle, philosopher (b. 384 BC)
- 161 - Antoninus Pius, Roman Emperor (b. 86)
- 308 - Saint Eubulus, Christian martyr
- 851 - Nominoe, Duke of Brittany
- 1274 - Thomas Aquinas, Italian scholastic philosopher (b. 1225)
- 1724 - Pope Innocent XIII (b. 1655)
- 1932 - Aristide Briand, French diplomat, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize (1926) (b. 1862)
- 1952 - Paramahansa Yogananda, Indian guru (b. 1893)
- 1957 - Wyndham Lewis, British author, painter
- 1967 - Alice B. Toklas, companion to Gertrude Stein and brownie chef (b. 1877)
- 1974 - Alberto Rabagliati, Italian singer and actor
- 1976 - Wright Patman, American politician (b. 1893)
- 1981 - Kiril Kondrashin, Russian conductor (b. 1914)
- 1986 - Jacob Javits, American politician
- 1988 - Divine, actor (b. 1945)
- 1991 - Cool Papa Bell, American baseball player
- 1999 - Stanley Kubrick, film director (b. 1928)
- 2000 - Charles Gray, British actor
- 2002 - Doris Allen, founder of CISV organization (b. 1901)
- 2003 - Manfred Durniok , movie producer
- 2004 - Paul Winfield, American actor
Holidays and observances
March 6 - March 8 - February 7 - April 7 -- listing of all days
|Top Encyclopedia Articles