Mercer University is a private university located in Macon, Georgia and Atlanta, Georgia. It is one of the largest Baptist-affiliated institutions in the world. Each year, the university enrolls more than 2500 undergraduate students, with 89% of them from the U.S. state of Georgia. In addition, it also enrolls 2300 graduate students and 2500 extended education students. The University runs on a semester system and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 15:1.
Under the leadership of prominent Georgia Baptist leader Jesse Mercer, Mercer University was founded in Penfield, Georgia, in 1833 and later moved to its current 150 acre (607,000 m²) location in Macon in 1871.
The main campus in Macon consists of the College of Liberal Arts, School of Medicine, School of Engineering, Stetson School of Business and Economics, Tift College of Education and programs of the College of Continuing and Professional Studies. The Walter F. George School of Law is located one mile away.
The Cecil B. Day Graduate and Professional Campus in Atlanta consists of the Southern School of Pharmacy, James and Carolyn McAfee School of Theology, Georgia Baptist College of Nursing, College of Continuing and Professional Studies and programs of the Tift College of Education and Stetson School of Business and Economics.
Mercer operates educational centers in Douglas County, Henry County and Eastman.
- Judge Griffin B. Bell - the 72nd Attorney General of the United States.
- Cathy Cox - Georgia's Secretary of State, the first woman to be elected to that position.
- Nancy Grace - anchor for Court TV and legal commentator and guest host for Larry King Live.
- Reg Murphy - former president of the National Geographic Society, publisher of the Baltimore Sun, editor and publisher of the San Francisco Examiner and editor of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Carl Vinson - who served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 50 years, has been called the "patriarch of the armed services" and the "father of the two-ocean navy."
- Sam Mitchell - head coach of the NBA's Toronto Raptors.
- Evett Simmons - president of the National Bar Association.
The Mercer University Bears are part of NCAA Division I. Its intercollegiate sports teams participate in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Men's sports include air rifle (co-ed), baseball, basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer and tennis. Women's sports include basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball.
Mercer University Website