The Montmorency Falls are located about 10 km east of Quebec City, Quebec. The falls, at 83 metres (272 ft.) high, are the highest in the province of Quebec and 30 m (98 ft.) higher than Niagara Falls. The falls are at the mouth of the Rivière Montmorency where it drops over the cliff shore into the Saint Lawrence River, opposite the western end of the Île d'Orleans. The falls were given this name in 1613 by Samuel de Champlain. He named them in honour of Henri II, duc de Montmorency, who served as viceroy of New France from 1620 until 1625.
The falls are located in a provincial park. They may be viewed from several perspectives. There are staircases that allow the visitor to observe them from different angles. A suspension bridge over the crest of falls provides access to both sides of the park as well as a spectacular view. There is also an aerial tram (cable car) that carries passengers between the base and the top of the falls. In the summer the park hosts an international fireworks competition with the falls as a backdrop.
The remnants of earthen forts built by General Wolfe are located in the eastern portion of the park. They were constructed in 1759. The landings below Quebec City were repulsed by General Montcalm at Montmorency Falls. Ultimately a successful assault was launched when Wolfe made a surprise attack by climbing the cliffs below the Plains of Abraham.
Each year, a few kilometers North of the falls, one of the largest Ice sculptures in the world is erected in January (later to melt in April) in the form of an 85 bed ice hotel.