Naval Base Kitsap is a US Navy base on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington state. It was created in 2004 by merging the former Naval Station Bremerton into Naval Submarine Base Bangor.
NSB Bangor's military history began in 1942 when it became the site for shipping ammunition to the Pacific theater during World War II. After the Navy purchased 7,676 acres (31 km²) on Hood Canal near the town of Bangor for approximately $18.7 million, the U.S. Naval Magazine was established June 5, 1944 and began operations in January 1945.
From World War II, and through the Korean and Vietnam conflicts, until January 1973, Bangor continued its role as a U.S. Ammunition Depot responsible for shipping conventional weapons abroad.
The Navy announced the selection of Bangor as homeport for the first squadron of Trident submarines in 1973. On February 1, 1977, the SUBASE was officially activated.
(as of August 2004)