San Lazzaro degli Armeni is an island in the Venetian Lagoon, lying immediately west of the Lido.
The island was first inhabited in the twelfth century, when it became a leper colony. It was then little used until Mechitar , an Armenian monk acquired it in 1717 and founded a monastery on the isle. It is still home to a monastery, known for its museum and library with a rich collection, focused on Armenian culture .
The monastery also contains an art gallery, an eighteenth century printing press and an exhibition on Byron, who studied the Armenian language there. The island's gardens are also known for their plants and their peacocks.