Seoul National University is a major university whose main campus is located in Seoul, South Korea. It is generally regarded among Koreans as the most prestigious institution of higher education in the country, and it routinely recruits the highest-scoring students in the annual South Korean university entrance examinations.
The university's English name translates its former Korean name, "Gungnip Seoul Daehakgyo" (국립 서울 대학교); but the university's name in the Korean language is now simply "Seoul Daehakgyo" ("Seoul University").
|Seoul National University
||Veritas lux mea|
"The truth enlightens me"
||Dr Un-Chan Chung
||Seoul, South Korea
||32,000 total (9,000 graduate, 23,000 undergraduate)
Seoul National University was founded on October 15, 1946 by merging 10 schools around Seoul area based on "The law about foundation of Seoul National University"(국립서울대학교 설립에 관한 법령).
The list of the schools were merged:
- "Gyeongseong University"(경성대학교)
- "Gyeongseong Law College"(경성법학전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Industrial College"(경성공업전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Mining College"(경성광산전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Medical College"(경성의학전문학교)
- "Suwon Agriculture College"(수원농림전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Business College"(경성경제전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Dentistry College"(경성치과의학전문학교)
- "Gyeongseong Education College"(경성사범학교)
- "Gyeongseong Women Education College"(경성여자사범학교)
The first president is Harry B. Ansted.
The college of law was founded by merging the law department of "Gyeongseong University" and "Gyeongseong Law College"(경성법학전문학교).
The second president is Lee, Chunho(이춘호,李春昊) from Oct 1947.
Merged "Seoul Medicine University"(서울약학대학) and reorganized as the college of medicine on Sep 1950.
During the Korean War, the university was temporarily merged with other universities in South Korea at Pusan.
The main campus is formerly located on Daehangno (University Street) in the Jongno-gu District, the most parts of university relocated to a new campus in Gwanak-gu in 1975. The campus in the Jongno-gu District is now the medical campus and called as "Yongon Campus".
- College of Humanities
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Natual Sciences
- College of Nursing
- College of Business Administration
- College of Engineering
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Law
- College of Education
- College of Human Ecology
- College of Veternary Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Medicine
- College of Dentistry
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Natual Sciences
- Graduate School of Engineering
- Graduate School of Human Ecology
- Graduate School of Education
- Graduate School of Agriculture
- Graduate School of Medicine
- Kwanak Campus(the main campus), is located on the southern part of Seoul. It is served by its own station on Line 2 (the Green Line) of the Seoul Metro.
- Yongon Campus(the medical campus), is located in downtown Seoul.
- Suwon Campus(the agricultural campus), is located in Suwon City, about 40 km south of Seoul.
- Seoul National University. "Seoul Daehakkyo 40nyonsa."(The 40 years history of Seoul National University) 1986.