The Tax Foundation is a Washington-D.C.-based tax research organization founded in 1937. Most famous for its annual calculation of Tax Freedom Day, its stated mission is to "educate taxpayers about sound tax policy and the size of the tax burden borne by Americans at all levels of government." The Tax Foundation promotes the following five "principles of sound tax policy":
1. Simplicity: Taxes should be easy to understand and comply with.
2. Transparency: Taxes should make clear who and what is being taxed.
3. Stability: Tax law should not change continually.
4. Neutrality: Taxes should aim to raise revenue with a minimum of economic distortion.
5. Growth-promotion: Taxes should consume as small a portion of national income as possible.
The Tax Foundation Website