Yvelines is a French département in the région of Île-de-France.
Yvelines was created from the western part of the no longer existing département of Seine-et-Oise on January 1, 1968 in accordance with a law passed on January 10, 1964 and a décret d'application (a decree specifying how a law should be enforced) from February 26, 1965.
It gained the communes of Châteaufort and Toussus-le-Noble from the adjacent département of Essonne in 1969.
Yvelines is bordered by the départements of Val-d'Oise on the north, Hauts-de-Seine on the east, Essonne on the southeast, Eure-et-Loir on the southwest, and Eure on the west.
The eastern part of the département, as well as its northern part along the Seine, are part of the Paris metropolitan area, but the rest of the départment is rural, much of it covered by the Rambouillet Forest.
Besides Versailles (the prefecture) and the subprefectures, important cities include Saint-Germain-En-Laye , Conflans-Sainte-Honorine , Poissy, Les Mureaux , Houilles , Plaisir, Sartrouville, and Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines.
Two parcs naturels régionaux can be found in Yvelines: the parc de la Haute Vallée de Chevreuse and part of the parc du Vexin Français.
See also Map of Yvelines.
A person from Yvelines is called Yvelinois in French.
Palaces and Châteaux
- Palace of Versailles
- Château of Breteuil
- Château of Dampierre
- Château of Maisons-Lafitte
- Château of Rambouillet
- Château of Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Château of Thoiry
- Château of Vaux-sur-Seine
- Museum of National Antiques (Saint-Germain-en-Laye)
- Museum of River and Canal Craft (Conflans-Sainte-Honorine )
- Horse-drawn Coach Museum (Versailles)
- Toy Museum (Poissy)
- Sheep Museum (Rambouillet)
- Cloth Museum of Jouy (Jouy-en-Josas )
- National Barn Museum of Port-Royal (Magny-les-Hameaux )
Artist's and Writer's Houses
Parks and Gardens
- Chèvreloup Arboretum (Rocquencourt)
- Marly Estate (Marly-le-Roi )
- Vaux sur Seine Castle Garden (Vaux sur Seine )
- The King's Vegetable Garden (Versailles)
Politics of Yvelines
Senators from Yvelines
- About Nicolas (Centrist Union )
- Bellanger Jacques (Socialist Party)
- Braye Dominique (UMP)
- Gournac Alain (UMP)
- Larcher Gérard (UMP)