Zakżnthos (Ζάκυνθος, also known as Zante), the third largest of the Ionian Islands, covers an area of 410 square kilometers and its coastline is roughly 123 kilometers in length. The island is named after Zacynthus, son of a legendary Arcadian chief Dardanus.
It has varied terrain with fertile plains in the southeastern part and mountainous terrain with steep cliffs along the coasts in the western part. Its latitude for the city is 37.79139/37°47'29 N and the longitude is 20.89528/20'53'43 E.
The mild, Mediterranean climate and the plentiful winter rainfall present the island with dense vegetation. The principle products are olive oil, currants, grapes and citrus fruit.
The capital, which has the same name as the prefecture, is the town of Zakynthos; apart from the official name, it is also called Chora. According to the 2001 census, the island has a population of 38,957 inhabitants.
The island has only one airport, the Dionysos Solomos Airport (on former GR-35) in its southwest which connects flights with other Greek airports. and further southwest is the National Marine Park of Zakynthos where loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta) are found in the southern portion of the island (the bay of Laganas ). The Caretta caretta were listed as endangered species. Every year beginning in june, the female turtles come to the southern beaches in order to bury their eggs in the sand. The breeding times takes approx. 55 days. The babies slip themselves into the sea, the survival rate is very small for the males. It lays about 1,000 eggs.
The port of Zakynthos has a ferry connecting to the port of Kyllini on the mainland. Another ferry connects the village of Skinari to Argostoli on the island of Kefalonia.
This paradise on earth suffered earthquakes in 1953, which have destroyed almost everything on the island. These were not the only earthquakes in area, but the most dramatic ones in recent history.
Three buildings were left standing in place after the disaster: St. Dionysios church, The national bank building, and St. Nikolas (tou Molou). A few other buildings in outlying areas have avoided complete destruction.
Mining is also common on the island, where a small mountain located in Zakynthos' west side was mined during the 1990s, though it is no longer in use. Today, mining still continues, but now with two quarries on the mountain range in the western part of the island.
on January 31, 2005, an earthquake rumbled not far from the island. It tremored in the sea at 5.6 on the Richter scale at 02:30 (UTC/PMST), 04:30 (Eastern Europe-Eastern African time).
Zante currant, a small sweet seedless grape is native to the island.
- Island length: 40 km
- Island width: 20 km
- Highest point: Vrachionas , 758 m
The sites of interest including Shipwreck Bay, Cape Skinari and the blue cave.
The western part of the island is accessivle and has a panoramic view of the sea
The ridge area from Anafontria has an observation deck and a ship wreck and with the monastery.
Keri is located in the far south of the island. It is a mountain village and has a lighthouse in the south. It includes a panorama of the southern part of the Ionian Sea.
Zante has campsites and beaches including a beautiful one near Keri with a length of a 100 m surrounded by cliffs. The island also offers a numerous amount of arches and cliffs which are famous. One of the arches are underground. Several documentary shows were filmed around that part of Zakynthos/Zante. Other campsites include Camping Alykes. Beaches are in Porto Limnionas, Porto Vromi and Porto Zoro.
Other includes a junior/quaternary soccer team (D Division) named APS Zakynthos
Greece Interstate 35 , a road linking Zante and Porto Roma and another road linking Zante and Volimes.
| Name of municipality
|| Municipal code
|| Postal code
| Alykes || 1601 || Alykes || 290 90
| Arkadi || 1602 || Vanato || 291 00
| Artemisio || 1603 || Macherado || 290 92
| Elata || 1604 || Volimes || 290 91
| Zante || 1605 || Zante || 291 00
| Lagana || 1606 || Lagana || 290 92
- Keri , the southernmost on the island.
- Porto Roma
See: Communities of Zante